The annual Men's Workingman's Bonspiel held this past weekend at the club was again a great success. With 28 teams competing, from local clubs as well as ones from Seattle and Lillooet as well as many of our own league teams, the curling action was great. Starting on Friday night and continuing until the last rock thrown on Sunday afternoon, this year's teams competed for greatly increased prize payouts. Each win in the event came with instant cash and teams that kept on winning kept on cashing in! We enjoyed a great buffet Saturday night with an excellent 'cook your own your steak to the way you like it' bbq. Big thanks to Dave Bergen for again supplying the awesome steaks ! Thanks to the club management and the Board for supplying some great raffle prizes including a huge 55 inch HD TV!
Our Event winners and the runners up were as follows:
'A' Event Winners: Team Harris from The Cloverdale Curling Club!
'A' Event Runner Up: Team Petursson from The Langley Curling Club
'B' Event Winner: Team Shoesmith from The Granite Curling Club Seattle
'B' Event Runner Up:Team Rafter from Tunnel Town Club Tsawassen
'C' Event Winner: Team Kyne from Langley, Victoria and Cloverdale Clubs
'C' Even Runner Up: Team N. Silva from The Cloverdale Curling Club
Team Harris from the CCC winners of the 'A' Event at the Workingman's Bonspiel.
l to r: Skip Stu Harris, 3rd Dean Lunn, 2nd Todd O'Dell, Lead Gary Olson.
Leave some room on your curling calendar for one of BC's oldest and most unique bonspiels: The Nifty Fifty. Our club is hosting this annual event for the first time.
The Nifty Fifty was first held at the Royal City Curling Club way back in 1968. Bringing together women curlers over the age of 50 from all over BC. The host club changes each year, rotating from Metro to the Island and the Interior.This year's theme - of which the bonspiel always has one! - is 'Stars of the 50's'. The Cloverdale Club will be all decked out to welcome our 'stars' from all over the province!
Formal ceremonies will start on Monday March 20th at 11:00 am. There will be a piper piping the ladies into the rink - all 144 participants! - in grand Scottish style.
Game action will commence:
- Monday March 20th, 7:00 am. Draw 1. Draws continue all day with last draw at 6:45 pm.
- Tuesday March 21st - same schedule as above
- Wednesday March 22nd. Full draws to 2:15 pm.
Awards to follow.
The club offers, as always, the licenced lounge up top with great viewing of the games going on. The public is welcome to drop in and see BC's finest, over 50, 'Stars' of both yesterday and the present.
Here are some of the events and happenings coming up this February at the club.
1. Open Bonspiel. February 3rd and 4th .
2. Drop In Curling:
- Saturday February 11th
- Saturday February 25th
- Drop In start times: 3:30 - 6:00. Includes mandatory half hour introductory lesson for those drop ins who are not regular curlers at the club.
- Cost: Only $10.00 per person
- Please call club to register if you have a party of 4 or more
3. Clinics: February Clinics are currently being planned and in progress. Please check this website or the club for news on any new clinics to be announced. Tentative dates would be February 11th and 25th both at 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
4. Workingman's Men's Bonspiel. This is always one of the club's bigger bonspiels of the season. Over 24 teams have registered thus far.Still room for more but you need to register by February 10th. We are always looking for bar volunteer help if you would like to get involved. Call the club at 604 574 4483
We have been having a real issue - as are many of the clubs on the Mainland during this cold spell - with salt coming into the lobby of the club. If not dealt with properly, it can and does find its way to the ice. And it has some very serious affects on the quality and effectiveness of your curling ice. There are some ways we can all help alleviate this issue, namely:
- Adhere to the 'No Street Shoes' rule. Never use any shoes you have walked across our lot in to curl with.
- Give your street shoes that you've worn into the lobby, a really good wipe on the front mat. This helps deal with the salt that makes its way into the club from the street and parking lot.
- Before you go on the ice, give your curling shoes/grippers a really good cleaning using the Boot Boys located before the doors to the rink.
- If you notice any salt/sand patches in the lobby, let us know. We'll deal with immediatly.
Thanks to all who take the time to do this. You are preserving the best curling ice in the Mainland!
Practice Ice is Mondays and Thursdays from 4 - 6 pm unless otherwise stated.
Please let the club know if you plan on practicing with larger groups or need more sheets than usual.
Call: 604 574 4483
The Cloverdale Club's two programs for kids and juniors are off to a great start. Each Wednesday afternoon the ice is alive with youngsters learning the game of curling. Each program is led by qualified curling instructors and geared to the age and skill levels of the kids. Our Little Rockers learn the proper stance, slide and delivery in addition to many other facets of the game. The emphasis is on basic skills development and... fun!
Our Juniors can be Beginner, Novice or for juniors who have had previous curling experience. More advanced skill development is taught as well as lots of team play, team strategy and game situations. The Juniors always split up and play a game or two, working on all aspects of their curling. And there is also that important element of fun!
Maybe your child or grandkid is not the hockey or soccer type but still wants to try a different game? Then curling might be the game your're all looking for.
We have room for more Little Rockers - ages 6-10 - who start at 4:00 and end at 5:00 pm and Juniors - age 11-18 - who also start at 4:00 but go two hours till 6:00 pm. You can even bring your little one down to try a session before fully signing up!
Call the club at 604 574 4483 or just come on down Wednesday afternoon before 4:00 pm
And, we supply all the equipment they'll need! All that is required for them to bring is a clean pair of non-street shoes (those school gym runners will be perfect) and to dress loosely but warmly.
Drop In Curling will resume in the new year. Please check this website out and/or call the office for availability.
Every session starts with a complimentary lesson from 3:30 to 4:00. Then, individuals and teams split up and play till 6:00 pm
trying a number of newly taught skills.
Dress warmly with loose clothing, bring clean non-street shoes to curl in and we do the rest!
We supply you with the brooms, grippers and sliders. You bring your enthusiasm!
And the good news is, it is still only $10.00 per curler.
This is a great way to introduce yourself to the game of curling. A Relaxed and fun way to start!
Call the club at 604 574 4483 if you have a group of 4 or more. Otherwise, just come on down, sign up and curl.
As of October 1 and running through the season unless otherwise posted on this website, Practice Ice availability will now be:
Mondays: 4 - 6 pm
Thursdays - 4 - 6 pm
Please note these and you do not have to call the club to book as there are no reserved practice times. First come first serve, however: If there are other curlers waiting to practice, try and limit your practice to half an hour. If you are on your own or with a small number of curlers, invite others waiting to join you.
Also. if you are coaching a team this may be a good opportunity to get some ice in. Call the club 1st and let us know if you would like to bring your team down to practice.
Place the rocks back in proper place once done. :)
We now have room at the club for those curlers or people who want ot curl maybe for the 1st time? to curl this year. The 2nd half of the season will begin (dates in brackets) soon. Call us or drop by to check into these opportunities if you are interested.
Perhaps you are ready to take on a 2nd league or commit to playing in a league for the 1st time. We will have room in following leagues: ( Remember, start dates in brackets)
There are confirmed openings in following:
- Monday Night Open - 2 openings : This is an 'open' league whereby teams can be made up of any combinations of men/women or even juniors.Skill levels run from beginner right to advanced.You can have a team of any skill level makeup! (Dec. 5th)
- Tuesday Night Men's - multiple openings: This is a Men's league any ages. Competition can range from novice to experienced/competitive. We currently have team openings but there are also two teams looking for a single curler! Could that be you? (Nov. 29th)
- Friday Night Open - 2 openings -: A very popular and social league consisting of combinations of men, women and sometimes juniors. This league is well known for it's after game social camaraderie upstairs in the lounge after every draw! (Dec. 9th)
- Thursday Night Men's - One full team opening. looking for a few single players for established teams.These are teams of novice and experienced players so anyone welcome to join.(Dec. 1st)
- Friday Night Open: Another very popular open league which just recently now has two openings for teams. Great camaraderie, very social league which always ends the night at our popular lounge!(Dec. 9th)
- For information on any of the above openings, call the club.
For more details on these and other leagues, go to 'Leagues' on the Main Home Page.
Or call: 604 574-4483
Welcome to the new website for the Cloverdale Curling Club. We're very proud of the fresh new look and even more excited for the improved services that will be offered to our membership.
In our secure private members area, not only will you be able to register and pay for your membership online, you will now be able to manage and update your personal data, be able to view upcoming games and league activities, select your volunteer commitments, indicate and access spares a lot easier, register for club events, and be better connected with all club activities.
We're still in the development stages and will be continually adding new information and elements to the website throughout the summer, so make sure to visit again. If you any comments or suggestions, please let us know.